Sunday 14 February 2016

Finlay's Food

A young Finlay 
It's becoming increasing difficult to get Finlay to eat. After eating half a meal in the last 48 hours I knew I had to try something different this morning. Pilchards in tomato sauce did the trick! But my problem is that adding tasty bits to his food seems to make him loose. Washing down his bottom and knickers at 10 pm is really no fun. (Please remind me of this if I ever mention keeping a long coat from a future litter!) I add yogurt and tree bark to his food to try and keep his digestion working correctly, but at the moment it really doesn't seem to be working! My only thought now is to buy white fish and add that to every meal. Surely that can't cause upset and may persuade him to eat?
He has lost a dramatic amount of weight, which some old dogs do, but this loss of appetite is not something I've really had to deal with before and I worry there may be something more sinister going on. Steve and I had discussed taking him to the vets, but while he's happy to go for his walk and generally plodding on we will take it day by day. With a dog of his age what really can they do to improve quality of life without putting him through distressful procedures? One thing that does come to mind and I think we should discuss is the b12 injection, though it hasn't improved Tia's appetite, it did help Louis eat, so it maybe something to consider .. or even preds (steroids) may help. Maybe a rethink is necessary .. I'm just so puddled about it all. Sometimes knowing what the right things is to do is quite difficult!