Thursday 13 March 2014

A Little Sad ....

.... At the realisation that our blonde boy is getting old!
Following our walk to the lake yesterday Finlay is struggling with his mobility today. It's not much further than our normal daily walks but I guess the combination of a slightly extended walk and the cold water has caught up with him. Noticing a deterioration last year I started him on a mix containing devils claw, but finding little improvement before Xmas I changed him onto glucosamine and chondroitin. To be honest, again I've seen little is any improvement and I'm certain that this year he will need something a little stronger on prescription from the vet. When I feel the time is right I will not hesitate as giving him comfort is paramount at this age.
Being a rescue dog we have no idea of his hip/elbow status, but the problem does seem to be confined to his hind quarters. Once he gets going he's OK, but  it's sad to see him so stiff today. But if I was going back to the lake tomorrow, would I take him? Of course I would, and I know exactly that that would be his choice too!