Tuesday 3 December 2013

You Won't Piss On My Parade!

 I've deleted your rather hurtful comment off my status. This is a happy and exciting time for me and I will not let it be ruined by other peoples negativity. I'm sure you know I'm passionate about this breed (Obsessive some would say) but with 8 litters in 22 years I've hardly flooded the market have I!
Yes I work in rescue, but In my world at least there's room for being enthusiastic about breeding and showing my German Shepherds and being passionate about welfare and rescue. To be honest, considering myself a dog lover and responsible breeder I find the two things go hand in hand.
In the 11 years that I've been working for a rescue organisation I'd say that we've had 8-10 GSD's in needing re-homing. Too many I know, but in my opinion not one of them has been bred by a responsible breeder. Some have loosely fitted the description of a German Shepherds, others have been closer to the standard; but not one of them has had any form of identification. All responsible breeders microchip or tattoo their pups so that if they end up lost or within rescue they can easily be traced back to the owner or breeder. Responsible breeders do not have an ulterior motive, they do not chip so they can have the animal back for breeding at a later date, they do it because the care. They have brought this precious life into the world, so therefore they believe it's their responsibility to care for it for the rest of it's life, otherwise how could they justify bringing it into the world?
The answer seems simple, bring in tighter laws to eradicate puppy farms and support the responsible breeder.  People who choose to take on an animal from a rescue centre need to be applauded; but I'm well aware that rescue is not for everyone. Some people will always want "that breed " of dog whether it's for a particular reason, or not (I.e showing, working or just as a pet.) In my opinion the people who choose to buy a pedigree dog need help and advice. They need to be put on the right path to find a puppy of their chosen breed from a responsible breeder with screened, health tested parents, therefore taking "trade" away from the evil puppy farms and back-yard breeders.
Regarding Xmas puppies, this litter is due on or around the 23rd of Dec, so therefore how are they going to be classed as Xmas present puppies. I will not be selling them at a few hours old will I? I hope and pray that everything goes well for this litter and if they do they will be on sale Mid to late Feb ... so I can hardly see the correlation with Xmas
.