Saturday 14 December 2013

Blanik Excentrik - Louis 21.7.03 - 15.12.12

The Super Show Off Show Dog
What can I say about Louis that hasn't already been said? Well honestly, nothing. The world knows what he meant to me, he was without doubt my most special friend. He was funny, witty in his ways, exuberant and energetic. He loved the world and smiled his way through life, he saw no harm in anything (except Kai) and accepted everyone and everything with the same enthusiasm and charm. To know Louis was to love Louis, and everyone loved Louis. I've been so touched by peoples comments over the years, he really did worm his way into so many hearts. Actually when I said everyone loved Louis, I guess I should rephrase that, a "friend" did find his enthusiasm hard to handle and made it clear that they disapproved when I encouraged him to be his bubbly self.
Kind, Gentle and Loving
With the 2003 litter of 7 dogs and one long coated bitch my hopes for the future of Blanik seemed dashed. I already had Dexi and Jay and needed another male like a hole in the head! But what is the point of breeding a litter and not keeping one? For me the whole purpose is to have "my" puppy, not just to produce pups for the already over crowded market. In my eye three dogs stood out in the litter, Tom the big puppy, Nat, and Jerry the little pup. I had two champ show judges up to see the litter, both agreed that "Tom" the biggest pup had the most potential. But having already been charmed by "Jerry" I asked one why he felt he would not make the grade. He said simply " he doesn't have enough length of foreleg!" Over the next week I battled with heart and head but a few wise words from Steve persuaded me to go with my heart. Tom was sold to a couple who did successfully show him, they gloated that they had the pick of litter, but one thing I would like to make clear, though he was/is a lovely dog, he was never MY pick of litter, that was always Louis!!! Was the judge right. or was I right? Well to a degree we both were, Louis (Jerry was his puppy name) was just over the minimum standard for a male, he stood around 62cms at the wither, so and extra inch of length of leg would have completed the picture. But as an adult his size never went against him, and in all the years of showing his brother only managed to beat him twice. His enthusiasm in the ring always caught the eye, he started off winning his puppy classes and ended up still winning in his veteran classes. Louis truly was a show off who loved the attention of the show the ring, and he loved his days out with me and my/his friends.
No One Told Him He Was Ill
After picking up campylobacter in 2010 Louis' recovery was poor. The vets tried everything, but the weight kept dropping off him and his stools were rarely formed. A surprising discovery made a huge difference and with regular Vit b12 injections Louis seemed to improve. He gained weight and looked good enough to get back into the show ring. Sadly the recovery was short lived and the damage caused to his intestine by the bacteria was just too severe. Still with regular injections and careful feeding we plodded on. Louis looked awful, but the most important factor, the one thing that stood out through 2 years of illness was, Louis didn't care. No one told Louis he was ill, he was just his normal happy bubbly self, oblivious to it all. Though god knows how he was full of energy and continued to love life. It was a painful time for us, he was demanding of his cuddles, but cuddling him was hard. He was so thin it actually went through me to hold him, but he came first and was cuddled and hugged as often as he wanted.
Cuddled with Nico
Though Louis feared Kai, when Nico joined us in Sept 2012 Louis welcomed him with open arms. He ran on the mountain like a puppy with Nico and Jezi, leaving Finlay behind to plod, as he does! Nico had had a hard time before coming here, but he was lucky to have a few months with Louis, I hope he has influenced him for the better.
I cried this morning when I woke up, I found myself reliving the events of that Saturday 12 months ago. The special ones are impossible to forget, how hard it has been to move on without him. He was a dream come true for me, my special friend, my Mr Amazing ... my little Louis.