Monday 17 October 2011

Just A Thought ...or two

Seffe
As I lay there in bed last night thinking about the pups and their different personalities, it dawned on me that Baby Ziva was more like the "Blanik" bitches that have been before her than maybe her sisters. Seffe was the first bitch I kept out of the first litter I bred. I remember so well the frustration on trying to get her indoors, but with a 2 acre field to play in what hope did I have? I remember slamming the door and hiding indoors for minutes thinking, she's bound to panic and follow me in .... did she? Did she hell! Vet Gill Hubbard commented at the time that she was far too clever for her own good! As an adult Seffe was to become my very best friend.
           Krizzie and Jezi
In 2000 Seffe had a litter to Apollo Von Dakota, 3 girls, Snap, Crackle and Pop and 2 boys, Bill and Ben. From the beginning Snap was a handful and I felt  pity for her future owner. Over the weeks it became apparent that she had the best conformation, so she stayed, became Krizzie and the nightmare began. As a puppy her recall was non-existent and if she ever saw anyone else walking on the mountain she was off to introduce herself. I guess it was kind of funny,the dog trainer had a puppy who listen to Jack shit! When she was about 4 months she broke her leg, a week or so later as Steve was fixing the flat roof he looked down and saw her on the way up the ladder... plastered leg coming first! We truly believed we had the puppy from hell!!! But Krizzie grew into a beautiful adult bitch, loyal, obedient and fun loving. It broke our hearts to loose her so young .... she was only 7years old when she had a tumor on the liver, there was nothing they could do. Our lives had been richer for knowing and loving Krizzie, if you don't believe a dog has a sense of humor then you never met Krizzie!
Asha and Tali
In 2003 Krizzie had a litter to Jay,7 boys and 1 long coat girl at the time left me in a quandary, but my love for Louis and my reasons for keeping him have been well documented. Still I had no bitch to carry on my line so in 2005 Krizzie had her second litter, 8 boys and 1 girl... it felt like she was still taking the piss! Luckily, the only bitch, Tali was a standard coat and so, inevitably she stayed!
Louis had been easy, the perfect puppy, then as he does now, he loved the world, and his dog. So therefore Tali was indeed a culture shock! If Seffe and Krizzie had been clever, than Tali was a genius and that made living with the puppy bloody impossible. Why should she do as she's told? Why should she come when she's called? Why should she put her ears up in the ring? Not now she's busy! It took a long time for us to bond, and to be honest I guess we "really" bonded when she had her litter to Kai in 2008. If ever a bitch was destine to be a mum it was Tali, having a litter has made Tali a lovely bitch, I guess she's now complete!
Ziva
Tali's daughter Asha has broken the pattern of awkward puppy bitches here. Asha was, and is a sweetie. Far more obedient and affectionate than her mum (yes even now) Though obviously we've had our moments, generally Asha has been easy. But, her sister Seren (Miss P) stayed here for a month when she was about 4 months old, with her without doubt the trend has continued. Not meaning to dismiss Asha, but Seren too like her mother has too much going on in her head for her own good!
So here we go ... possibly another difficult puppy ride ahead with Ziva. I'm almost certain Jezi will be easier, but time will tell. Anyway experience tells me that if I get 6-8 months of puppy hell I'll get a life time of love and dedication and believe you me I'll savour ever moment of it!