Thursday 14 April 2011

Mixed Emotions

Louis and Finlay in 2008

Louis had his check-up today. His weight is the same as it was last month and he was so pleased to be at the vets that he pinched my bottom. Over the years I've suffered greatly from Louis Love Bites but this one was a first, even for me! Anyway, plenty of padding there so maybe not a bruise this time. To be honest who cares anyway, I'm my eyes he can do no wrong!

Louis has been prescribed another months course of oxycare as the vet is as nervous about taking him off them as we are...maybe next month. It looks likely that he will need b12 injections permanently, well at least for the foreseeable future anyway. Again, if it helps him...who cares? I'll give him anything he needs to keep him well and happy!

Finlay was also having a check-up today. I have seen a difference in him this year, he seemd to have aged and slowed down a lot. I thought maybe he was older than we originally thought, but decided for peace of mind to have him checked over. The vet came to the conclusion that he was less than 10 years old, which is great, but sadly it seems he has a slow heartbeat and a marginally enlarged spleen. So what does she suggest we do now? Well initially, nothing! We will need to monitor him carefully over the next month or two and if there is any change then he will need blood tests to determine what's going on. My plan of action is to plod on as normal and make sure he enjoys his life. I will not be wrapping him up in cotton wool, but I will not be taking him on a marathon hike in the mountain again either. Normality and fun are the order of the day.

P.S - Finlay was very pleased that the Doggy Doctor says he's not fat and that I'm not to call him fat boy anymore!!! (we'll see!)