Sunday 24 April 2011

A Crisis of Conscience?

Well, no, not for me!
Blanik Boys, Rescue Dog Finlay with Homebred Mikey and Louis.
 In my world at least there's room for being enthusiastic about breeding and showing my German Shepherds and being passionate about welfare and rescue. To be honest, considering myself a dog lover and responsible breeder I find the two things go hand in hand. My heart goes out to all the animals waiting for homes in rescue centres. I think pet owners should be discouraged from having that "one" litter and encouraged to neuter their pets. (whether pedigree or crossbreed) People who choose to take on an animal from a rescue centre need to be applauded; but I'm well aware that rescue is not for everyone. Some people will always want "that breed " of dog whether it's for a particular reason, or not (I.e showing, working or just as a pet.) In my opinion the people who choose to buy a pedigree dog need help and advice. They need to be put on the right path to find a puppy of their chosen breed from a responsible breeder with screened, health tested parents, therefore taking "trade" away from the evil puppy farms and back-yard breeders.
Beautiful Blade
Having been bought up around Rough collies I first fell in love with the German Shepherd breed when I was attending a local dog training class in the late 70ies. I remember so clearly, a long-coated male called Crusader simply took my breath away. I made the decision back then that one day I would have a Long Coat German Shepherd and I would call him Blade! Well I almost got it right and my first GSD, Blade, a normal coated male was born in February of 1991.
I am passionate about the breed, and breeding to improve on health, temperament and the construction of the breed is paramount. Like in many breeds, a lack of standards and indiscriminate breeding almost bought this breed to it's knees, but with the dedication of  responsible breeders and support from other parties the breed is "healthier" than it has ever been.
In the 8 years that I've been working for a rescue organisation I'd say that we've had 8-10 GSD's in needing re-homing. Too many I know, but in my opinion not one of them has been bred by a responsible breeder. Some have loosely fitted the description of a German Shepherds, others have been closer to the standard; but not one of them has had any form of identification. All responsible breeders microchip or tattoo their pups so that if they end up lost or within rescue they can easily be traced back to the owner or breeder. Responsible breeders do not have an ulterior motive, they do not chip so they can have the animal back for breeding at a later date, they do it because the care. They have brought this precious life into the world, so therefore they believe it's their responsibility to care for it for the rest of it's life, otherwise how could they justify bringing it into the world?

1994-Robbie
My first "rescue" GSD with show dog Nikki in the background

The answer seems simple, bring in tighter laws to eradicate puppy farms and support the responsible breeder, surely this must be the only way forward. Of course what seems simple to me, in the real world may be totally unrealistic. To achieve anything the government would need to spend time and money getting to grips with the situation, and in the present climate who can seriously see them doing that?. One very small but huge step forward would be for more breeder to take responsibility for their homebred animals throughout their lives, and equally for owners to honor the contracts they sign when purchasing a puppy. This would take much needed pressure off some of the struggling rescue centres throughout the country. It would also benefit all parties if rescue centres and responsible breeders could settle their differences and learn to work together for the sake of the dogs who need their help. It would also be wonderful to see show enthusiasts and hobby breeders opening their doors to at least one rescue dog! In my home there has always been room for the "show team" as well as the rescue dogs.
My enthusiasm and passion for this breed will not change, but neither will my dedication to help those who are genuinely in need.