Sunday 3 October 2010

Jesus To A Child


Michael 'gets no special treatment'
Jailed pop star George Michael has insisted he had received "no special treatment of any kind" during his time behind bars.
The former Wham! star was handed an eight-week prison sentence last month after he crashed his Range Rover while high on cannabis.
The 47-year-old singer, whose real name is Georgios Panayiotou, said he felt compelled to dismiss "the usual rubbish" which had been reported while he was behind bars.
In a statement he said he had been "treated with kindness".
"Much as I would prefer to rise above the usual rubbish that I'm reading day after day about my time here in prison, I think it's only fair to my fans, family and friends to respond in some way even though I will be home soon," he said.
"So please believe me when I tell you that in the last three weeks, there have been no tears, no anxiety, no bullying - in fact, not so much as a sleepless night for me.
"On the contrary, I've been treated with kindness by fellow inmates and prison staff alike and, as far as I can tell, have received no special treatment of any kind whatsoever, unless, of course, some of the guys here are letting me win at the pool table.
"Most of my days have been spent reading thousands of letters and post cards of incredible support from people around the world. I promise to repay their kindness with new music as soon as I possibly can."
In an apparent message to his fans, the singer signed off the statement by saying: "With love, as always, George Michael."