Saturday 26 December 2015

Raining Again

We woke up this morning to the sound of running water in the yard. On investigation we found the water was flowing down through the farmers field which is adjacent to the gable end of the cottage; it was then flooding the small garden and running through holes it had made in the wall and joining the already flooded yard.
I've lived her for over 20 years and have really seen some extremes of weather, but I've never seen the place flooded like this. I've seen snow drifts of over 6 ft, temperatures of below -12, I've experienced winds strong enough to lift and carry a static caravan, and cooked in days of baking sunshine... and yes we have seen some rain, but never, ever like this. Two weeks ago we visited a friend who told us it had rained for 41 days ... well therefore it has now rained at some part of everyday for 55 days, and some days have been relentless. We are lucky, there is a step of about 6 inches into the living room and somehow the water is flowing away from the lower back door and going towards the gate. But honestly I'm not sure how much longer it can keep doing that for as the yard is like a swimming pool.
The dogs were so good yesterday, give or take a little madness every now and again they were settled and well behaved. To be honest I doubt they wanted to be outside anyway! But a second day of confinement may leave them, or at least the youngsters, a little stir crazy!
I hope the rain eases soon ... and my heart goes out to the poor people who's Xmas, indeed their lives have been temporarily ruined by this horrendous weather!
Both photos of me in Xmas t.shirt and Pj's messing about with the "selfie" button on the new phone... top - a rare cuddle with my lovely Asha, and the second a reluctant Loki!