Friday 25 April 2014

Back At The Vets


Beautiful Isla
One week on and Isla is still not eating. For the second time the vet gave her a thorough examination and could find very little wrong. Her colour is good, her weight ok,(3.2kg) temp ok etc; but there is something pretty hard in her bowel and she suggested she could be constipated or agreed with one of our theory's that she could have a fur ball blockage. She has prescribed laxatives to try over the week end, if there is no improvement then she will start her on anti inflammatory on Monday. (Her expression is not right and the third eyelid is still to be seen suggesting she is feeling out of sorts) Worse case scenario and if there is still no improvement then they will then takes bloods. They only thing she's eating is "dreamies" treats, she won't even eat chicken (Her favourite)
Little Riley
I must admit I'm very worried about her. It's only just over a year since we lost Riley, he was only 8 months old so the thought of loosing another youngster wrecks me. After explaining my reasons for possible paranoia to the vets I asked her if there was any chance it could be a tumour? She said she would not commit to saying "no" but felt it was highly unlikely. Though I felt a little stupid at being so pessimistic I was so glad that I asked.
Isla behaviour at the vets is remarkable. She comes out of the carrier purring and climbs straight up my chest to rub her face against mine. She's like velcro as I try and unhook her and put her down on the table. (She's the same at home) As she ties to examine her the vet comments that she can't hear anything due to the purring and suggest I move away from Isla; But Isla turns round and climbs up the vet and sits on her shoulder, luckily Rachel (vet) has a great sense of humour. She tell us that that there is a theory that if you take a cat close to running water they will stop purring, she took her to the tap and put it on ... it didn't work and she had to give up! So as best as she could tell ... everything sounded OK! Back on the table Isla pured and kneaded away happily before climbing back onto my shoulder.
Can You See Me? 
What can I say? She's playing out in the field with Jamie, she's not drinking excessively, she's always pleased to see me and as demanding as ever. She's out in the sunshine, in when it's raining. All normal behaviour .... but she's just not eating; and when a greedy cat's not eating, then large or small problem, one thing is for sure, something has got to be wrong! So one step at a time I think is the way forward. Here's hoping it's sorted over the week -end and forgotten about by next week.

Update - Isla ate half a sachet at tea time and another half at bed time. Her first meals in a week. Sadly this morning she has only picked at her food ... but at least we do have some improvement.