Sunday 12 May 2013

A Funny Kind Of Show Day....

Nico with Sarah
The Back Ground
Having entered, and done well, under Mr V at a local show a few years ago, in 2010 we traveled all the way to Peterborough where he was judging a championship show. It was a wonderful day with Mikey winning his class and Asha coming second in  very strong company. The write ups for both were wonderful.
In 2012 Mr V was judging at Manchester Champ show, again I took the two and had high hopes that he would still consider them worthy of top honors. It was to be a sadly disappointing day. Mikey was unplaced in his class and Asha was 4th in limit bitch. He commented that Asha was "a tad overweight,and in strong competition that had lost her a place or two." Fair enough I thought, it was her first Ch. Show since her litter, I could see that!
Yesterday Mr V was judging at The National Ch show. I thought long and hard before entering, I found the inconsistency with Mikey from show to show a little hard to swallow, Oh hell I'd give it a go and I'd leave Mikey at home!
The Day
With males first in the ring, Nico from my family was first in. OMG what a performance he gave. I had been so disappointed with him at Builth when he really hadn't settled, but yesterday he was faultless and looked a picture in stance. In the opinion of many, including me he out moved the competition and I could see him winning the class, or at least being second. But it was not to be and we had to settle for third. Yes I was disappointed, my boy looked amazing and gave, in my opinion, his best performance yet!
Little Jezi
During the judging J.T started chatting to me, we discussed people who were mutual friends and no longer attend the shows.  At the time Nico was in the ring. J.T then realised I had a dog in the ring.. And said "that's a bit nice for one of yours," (no offence meant or taken - he handled Dexi and Nikki to top honors)  "where did you get that from?" His mate said it's a Conbhairean dog. I was watching Nico but heard him say it's got to be Freddie's brother. (which he's not!)  I saw them look through the catalogue to see who he was and he then turned to me and said, "How the Fuck did you get that, you won the fucking lotto or something?" LOL. I just smiled at him and said Nice isn't he!
Jezi was to be next in the ring. Even on paper she was out of her depth in the class. She was stone last, but I was Ok with that and quite agreed. I know the limitations of my dogs and had already decided (and told handler Sarah) that this would be her last CH. show. She is very limited in her angles and her colour at this level of competition will always go against her. With entry prices at Ch shows being ao high I really can't afford to go paying out knowing my bitch will be in the last half of the class. I will continue to campaign her at open shows, she's good enough to run the arse off most of the dogs competing at that level!!! (so to speak!)
Asha
 
Though Asha is not quite in full coat in my eye she looks wonderful. She is caring less weight than she had done in the past and like Nico she gave a faultless performance. I watched the class with "Open Eye" and knew she would not win, but to me she deserved to be in the first four. Sadly MR V did not agree. Like her daughter before her Asha was last, but this time I did not agree!!! He could not blame her weight, and there was no way he could blame her performance ... so why??? I guess we'll never really know, but it has been suggested that he has become "Colour prejudiced!" I know Asha hasn't got the best of colours but the standard does say Colour is of "secondary importance." Therefore in my opinion it should only be considered when splitting hairs between bitches. Yesterday he placed bitches above Asha who he had in previous shows placed behind her; so in my opinion with Asha's condition and performance yesterday, MR V again shows inconsistency in his judging!
Tali - having a Great day!
Lastly, after a long break from CH. Shows Tali yesterday returned to the ring. She is looking well, if not a little "Too" well for Mr V!!! I know Tali would not win, the Champion bitch in her class was just too much competition for her ... but hell she was second and has now qualified for next years Crufts. Yes I was delighted with her achievement  but far more delighted to see her having such a great day. She was full of fun and mischief and 5 mins before her class even stole a slab of chocolate cake off Gail's plate! Though We have photos of her in stance in the ring I love the photo of her being patted by Sarah at the end of the class ... happy smiling Tali. Sarah has been handling Tali for almost 8 years. She handled her to BPIB at her first champ show, City Of  Birmingham in 2005 and it was lovely to still see the rapport between both of them yesterday.
Conclusion
Yes I had a good day, great friends, great food (thanks for organising it Suzie) and great great dogs! My only complaint and disappointment would have to be the judges inconsistency's over the years. Will I enter under him again? Hmmm, I'd think long and hard, maybe Nico, maybe Ziva, maybe Tali??? We'll see, time can only tell!