Sunday 17 February 2013

The Best Decision Made

It was no secret, in the middle of last year I was quietly looking for a female to bring to Blanik. A female that would complement my bloodlines, a female I could hopefully mate to Mikey. I looked at a few kennels before contacting Heather at Conbhairean for advice ... and that when she dropped the bomb shell. "Well I've got this dog ....."
Heather told me all about the dog she called Danko. His mental and physical condition on return to the UK was an absolute disgrace, she was upset and angry that a top GSD man in another country could consider it acceptable! Danko had been back with her a few weeks by this time and had come on leaps and bounds. She felt he was now ready for a new chance at life... was I interested?
When Kai was mated to Tara I had set my heart on a male puppy ... he would be called Nico ... sadly this was not to be and Tara lost her litter. Now that Kai was gone too was this fate? Was this my opportunity to get "A Nico?" No not Kai's son, but his nephew. To be honest from the moment I was told about him I couldn't stop thinking about him...and when I saw the photos I was sold!
Nico is everything I hoped he would be, and much much more. He's a clown, he makes me smile, he makes me laugh. Yes he has his issues, there's no doubts that "pressure training" has left it's mark on this dog; but mostly he's a happy dog and he's quick to recover and trust again. (we've only had one incident this year) In my opinion, his hocks may never be as strong as they could have been had he been given normal exercise as a pup. And because of this he may never make it to the top in the show world; but to be honest what he gives me on a daily basis is worth more, tenfold. I also feel that if I was to go on with "Germanic" showing he will need more training, and I've no one to help me these days. I can easily put a ring up in the field, but I need people and dogs to help with the work. Sadly I have neither in this area and St Helens is my nearest breed training club.
Yes I see Kai in him, his head is very similar in shape, and though he's not as tall he's a big boned strong male who also likes the sound of his own voice. He's like a whirl wind at times, you feel the living room is not big enough for this over sized puppy!  But strangely he's a lot like Louis too. Very obedient, happy, bubbly, bouncy and very very cuddly. It was so nice that he and Louis had become friends, in my opinion he was blessed to have had time with Louis. There was no one better to show him the positives of life, Louis loved the world .... and his dog! Then there's Mikey, they'll never be friends, and though I don't see it people often get the two confused. I guess it's the black mask that does it!
I feel blessed, I do feel truly blessed to have this dog at my side. It was the right decision, anyone who wants to take the time to get to know him will find out he really is a wonderful wonderful dog!