Friday 28 September 2012

The Week That Was .....

It's hard to believe it's now a week since I was completely under my masters spell! Another magical experience in his company, his huge stage presence and charisma second only to his perfect vocals. As usual not so perfect lyrics though ... mind you I guess it takes someone who knows the songs back to front to realise his mistakes. Do I mind? Of course not, along with his terrible time keeping it's just part of his charm.
Monday was another of those days that you know has to come but you pray it doesn't. Kiri seemed to have always been here. Plenty had come and gone and she'd out lived them all. Kiri had lived with every "Blanik" dog that has ever been here... including Blade and Pepsi. Sadly Nico will be the last.
Their has been tears and so much upset with Louis also being affected. I took him and Finlay to see the body, I felt the two of them needed to know, especially Louis. She had become his surrogate mother, he latched onto her when his own mother died in 2007, now he doesn't have that "older female" presence in his life and I think he's a tad lost and confused!
Loosing Kiri was something I'd prepared myself for. I think the last month had been hard on us all, seeing her go down hill but not really knowing when it was "time," and continually doubting our thoughts and decisions. Kiri was last up on the mountain on the 19th of August and I take comfort from the fact her illness was very short. Apart from that awful spell in 2004 she really was a healthy strong girl. I guess I'd grieved her loss over the last month, does that make sense? I started to grieve before she died and it gave me strength when the time came. I was prepared, unlike when I lost Kai. That felt like my heart had been ripped out and stamped on, I still devestated by the the pain of his loss.
Work has been awful this week, the worse week in 9 years. I'm sure Lesley won't mind if I quote her blog ..." It has been a very unsettling week in more ways than one (retuned animals)but it has culminated in the Council sending someone to the shelter with regards to a noise nuisance. Once again we are faced with trying to deal with this issue and will have to spend more money trying to make the kennels more soundproof. Sadly someone has also given information to the Council; that we are admitting more dogs to the shelter but fortunately I was able to disprove that.As most people know, we have an excellent group of foster carers now. It is such a shame that we have to spend more money on the old kennels because plans are currently in the process of being drawn up for a new building which will be soundproofed and I wanted any money to be spent on that, rather than the old one. We do need better facilities for our resident dogs, The other disappointing factor is that I am pretty certain that not only do I have a bad neighbour to deal with, but a newly discovered and ultimately more potentially damaging ‘informer’who is anti dogs and is trying to stop this part of our work for reasons known only to the person concerned.
All the staff today,feel very upset at this new revelation, by and large we are a close team and are very committed to the work of the charity, so everyone feels affected by such animosity towards our much needed work in the area.
I know so many animal rescuers who struggle with problems like these but most of us have one thing in common, we do not allow them to alter our course! We may feel down at times and we often feel that everything is going against us but our commitment and determination to help animals in need overcomes adversity in the end. We Will Overcome!"

 I have lots more to say .... But I'm now going to watch Mrs Brown .. great medication after a bad week