Saturday 29 September 2012

The Week That Was ...part 2

Now where was I? Oh yeah ... work
Grani who use to live at Freshfields -
My mate RIP
It was unfortunately me, who at 7.50am greeted the environmental Health Officer's in the yard. I was "greeted" by aggression from the off, which to be honest I could not deal with at that time of day. I was extremely pleased to be able to pass them over to a very composed Lesley!  My morning hadn't started well, a young cat admitted only a couple of weeks ago lay dead in her pen and I was the first in that block that morning. We could see no reason for this sudden death ... and yeah I was upset! The realisation that we have a "dog hating grass" on our team really has upset us all, well it doesn't bear thinking about. If the council were to serve notice many of the dogs, horses and the much loved cats would just have to be destroyed! And then it just got worse .......
Queeny and Sox were too middle aged cats re homed last week, they had been with us since March and we were so pleased to see them leave for a better life. Again it was me in the firing line, I unfortunately answered the phone to their owners to be told they were both dead. I shrieked in horror thinking that there had been some tragic accident, but no, they had had them both put to sleep .. or in this case I prefer the word killed! That morning they had taken them to the vets for Vaccination, the vets had told them they were much older than we had told them,( quite possible, we go on the information given when cats are signed over! ) they had diarrhea and very few teeth. The vet told them they could have re-occurring health issues so they decided to kill them. We had had those two girls for months with no problems .. Why? I can't make sense of it, Why? The adoption form clearly states, animal must be returned to the sanctuary and not destroyed or re homed. We are all speechless, emotional and angry. How could we have been so wrong about a seemingly pleasant older couple? Lesley is now considering legal action!
Tomorrow is a new day, a new week ... it just can't be any worse!!!!