Saturday 13 August 2011

I Saw Green!

Asha-"I'm sure I didn't ask for so many!"
Basha's Beautiful Baby

Well what a night that turned out to be! At around 5.30 pm I found Asha had green fluid on her tail, it had obviously passed from her vulva. I know the presence of this green discharge before any pups are born to be a warning that something is going badly wrong. (Thank God for "Book Of The Bitch!")
We loaded the car and were off on one of the longest journey's to the vets ... 25 mins seemed like hours. There was some more green patches on the vet bed as we arrived at the vets.
On examination the vet found that the the cervix was fully open and a puppy was presented there ready to be born, but Asha was very stressed and making no effort to delivery her babies. With the afterbirth passing first the pup would not be viable for long! In the interest of all an immediate cesarean was necessary.
Once I'd dealt with the stress of  the situation, and I only had seconds to come to terms with it, I found the whole thing fascinating and magical. Puppies flying at us from all directions, with every breath taken Steve and I took a sigh of relief. The vets, his nurse and our lovely friend Sharon were all fantastic. We owe them all so much! Maybe just a job to them, but so so much more to us. As soon as my lovely Asha was awake I started to relax and actually see a bright future. I can't help it, in these situations my glass is always half empty and Asha is just so precious to me/us!
Bringing them home was strange, normal birth gives me a chance to identify the family and make sure they all feed quickly. Here I had 9  babies in a pile in a whelping box and no idea who was who and who had managed to feed! Asha was totally taken aback..."where the bloody hell did these all come from?" But mother nature is a wonderful thing and within no time she had taken charge, all had settled, been washed and fed! I think she will be a wonderful mother!
Tali's excited, but I dare not let her in, maybe in a few days I'll let her have a sneaky peak when Asha goes for a peepee...but Tali,  No touching!!!
All we can do now is give her the love and support she deserves to hopefully bring up all of her lovely litter. Thanks to all for phone calls, text messages and e.mail, you're support is always appreciated!