Wednesday 2 October 2013

I Feel So Guilty

Cutting Asha's nails is something of an ordeal. Steve and I have tried for years to "Fight" with her but it end up with 2 stressed humans and a stressed and usually bleeding dog! Having inherited the family tradition of slightly flat feet her nails just don't seem to wear down, they grow outwards and dangerously long so require clipping 3 or 4 times a year. Though they don't all like it, I've never had trouble cutting anyone else's nails here, I do all the others by myself. Asha gets in such a state of panic about it that it had got too much for both of us. We'd tried pinning her down, even almost sitting on her and we'd tried giving her ACP ... a mild sedation from the vets. Nothing works, and her fighting means that when I do get chance to cut one I usually make it bleed and hurt her even more. Thus of course making the situation worse!  In credit to her through all the fights she has NEVER shows aggression, well to be honest no more than I expect from Asha ... I'm sure she doesn't know the meaning of the word! So what are we to do? Her nails have to be cut, but we can't physically do it. (Even with three of us!)
The solution seemed simple, a quick injection in her bottom at the vets, wait till she's asleep, cut her nails and another injection to bring her round. Not ideal but affective and a lot less stressful for all, well until yesterday anyway! Yesterday we saw a different vet, all seemed to have gone well till we got home. Asha was still very drowsy so to give her some peace from prying eyes and nosey noses I put her in the crate for a couple of hours. I fed her ..of course she ate, then brought her back into the living room. But it wasn't just a case of not being able to keep her eyes open, try as she did poor Asha was not even able to keep her head up. I tried to comfort her on the sofa and placed her head down to see if she would simply sleep it off .. but she just kept trying to fight it. From her sleep she woke up quickly and almost fell onto the floor. My poor girl had wet herself in her sleep. The throw and the sofa were soaked but my priority was to get her out of the room before she realised what had happened and got stressed out about it. Steve suggested I take her out to the field to see if the fresh air would help her. Leaving him to clean up that's what I did. There was just enough moonlight for me to see the others running around, but Asha plodded behind me. (pink ball in mouth of course!!) I must admit it seems to have been the best thing to do as she did improve after her "walk."
This morning Asha's fine, back to her normal sweet happy self; and she may well have been oblivious to all of last nights events. Maybe she feels like Linda the morning after more than one bottle of Lambrini! (though I do hope Linda doesn't pee on the sofa!) But joking aside I feel so guilty, I feel awful. I'm not sure I can face going through that again just for a nail cut! But what are my options? If we do go down that road again, for starters I would be asking for the vet that I'm familiar with; maybe he knows to a tee how much she needs. I can only surmise that she was given a much stronger dose than she needed yesterday. But maybe in future we'll just choose to fight with her ... or I may get a Dremel to try!