Saturday 10 August 2013

Nico

It's a year to the day since Heather first sent me an e.mail and a photo of a dog she had taken back called "Danko." My head was immediately buzzing and I remember sharing the news with Sarah as we were talking in facebook "chat" at the time. The e.mail followed a brief PM in Facebook and informed me that ...
 ...his forehand was better than in the photo, but his back line needed to firm a bit more and he needed to build muscle in the croup. She was convinced it would come with training as there's was already a marked difference in the short time he'd been back in Scotland. When they first got him back, you could see every rib and his pin bones were sticking out, he looked "like a bloody rescue," with dull coat and eyes. But by then, he had weight and had muscle on him, his coat was gleaming and he was a very happy boy with a happy outlook.
"I honestly think you would love him and think he could do very well for you in the ring when fully fit. But the way your lot run that will take no time at all."
I was smitten, I immediately set my heart on "Danko" coming to Blanik and a very long month of waiting began. It's common knowledge that as the weeks went by a lot more was discovered about Nico's past abroad and sadly little of it pleasant. But despite some minor difficulties caused by his earlier treatment I can honestly say that hand on heart it's been one of the best decisions I ever made. He's a star, a happy loving dog who wants no more than to please, we both adore him. No doubt in Sept I'll be rethinking and repeating the emotion of the day when I first set eyes on my precious boy.