Friday 30 August 2013

Hips and Merioneth

 
Ziva's hips
Jezi's hips

















Looking at these photos of the X-ray's interests me greatly. Even I can see the difference in Jezi's left hip to the other three hips. To my eye the ball does look smaller, and does not fit as comfortably in the socket. I don't really understand the finer points of the scoring but it is possible to see that that hip would score higher than the others. Still a total of 18 is quite acceptable, and she would still qualify for a breed survey class one with her 6+12 score. (53+53 is the top score and that means severe hip dysplasia)  So though you always hope for better I guess I can't complain about either. Good on yeah girls!
Merioneth

Blade at Ruthin in 1995
Like many other local shows I have been attending this show since 1991/2. I have rarely missed it, taking time off work to make it to the mid week show. Now despite what you may think, it's never really been a lucky show for me. All those years and only ever 4 best of breeds. It's just when we win there, we win big! Blade took his first Best of Breed there with Best In Show in about 1995, and then his second Best In Show from a veteran class in 1999.
The Summer of 99 had been very emotional, Blade had suffered his first torsion in the June and we had come so close to loosing him that I had him wrapped up in cotton wool. The morning of the show I loaded the youngsters into the blue metro, telling Blade that though he was entered he was staying at home. Steve would be home at lunch time to check on him. Blade was such an Obedient dog, but that day he shoved past me ran out and jumped over the front seat into the car. I just couldn't do it to him, I couldn't bring him back when he wanted to go so badly! And there he was at the end of the day ...BIS from veteran under The Kennel Club's chairman Ronnie Irvin! The icing on the cake was that Kiri also went Reserve Best Puppy In Show on the same day. I think I floated home!
Mikey BIS 2012/13
And that was it, no more wins at Merioneth until 2012 when Mikey took his first best of breed with Best In Show there, his first Best in Show at this show but his third of that Summer's season.
2013, and when Mikey went BOB I can't deny it the thought did cross my mind ... could he do it again? But my god I can't explain the excitement of it actually happening. Way To Go Mikey Mikey.
So Merioneth show, 22 years of competing with 4 BOB's doesn't sound that good does it? But 4 Best In Shows ... like I said when we win there we win big!