Friday 26 July 2013

Sleep In A Deep Deep Sleep

I was woken up in the middle of the night by Steve reassuring me, "It's Ok, It's Ok, I've got you." Apparently I was sat up in bed screaming "OMG No, OMG No. I remember snuggling into his arms and I remember the fear, fear like I'd never known in my waking hours. I was physically shaking and my heart was racing, but I have no idea why, I have no memory of any kind of dream. He asked me numerous times where I was and what was wrong? But I didn't answer...so strange but by no means a new experience for either of us. Over the years I've had regularly similar episodes, occasionally finding myself half way out of the bedroom, but there has always been one obvious difference, I've always known what I was dreaming about.

Seffe - 2005
Before Steve and I got together Blade would occasionally wake me up at night; for no reason, in my mind anyway, he'd be nuzzling me till I woke. Later this role was taken over by Seffe. Seffe would seem distressed, squeaking and licking at my face. Steve realised that Seffe reacted to the distressed I was experiencing in my sleep and she always woke me up before it escalated, usually around the time he realised something was wrong. It's strange these days, Finlay never bothers, just leaves me to it! He's such a different character to the standard coloured dogs. Certainly that extra something that gives total dedication from dog to owner is missing in the white gene, well it is with Finlay anyway!!!
So I'm going to bed in a few hours .... let's hope the night terrors don't return tonight!