Tuesday 30 April 2013

A Little Comfort

With my mind still jumping from one emotion to another over the loss of  poor Diesel, I was today at least  able to take the bull by the horns, so to speak, and talk face to face with the vet who performed the PM. Nothing will ever bring the boy back and it breaks my heart to think of the loss of such a beautiful young dog; but I now have a responsibility to the rest of the litter and any future generations of "Blaniks!" I take comfort that the vets informed me first hand that Diesel did not died from a hereditary condition, this was a tragic, isolated incident and not in any way genetic. I have 6 generations at stake here and I have to take the matter very seriously. Though we have never had heart abnormalities within the generations I will health test the girls again before breeding from them as I feel we can never be too careful. (the girls like Diesel were health tested as 8 week old pups)
After talking to two respected vets now I can see a way forward .... there hopefully will be a Blanik "I" litter next year. But Blanik Harvey will always remain in our heart, the boy that was too special for this world will never be forgotten.