Friday 11 September 2009

Grief in My World





I hope I am never in a position to only have one dog..to loose that dog would be enough to kill me. I can't imagine getting out of bed in the morning to "nothing;" the silence would just be too much for me. What if there was no happy faces to greet me daily? No demands for breakfast or a tennis ball thrown into my morning cup of tea? How dull it must be to have nothing!
In contradiction sometimes the grief of loosing is too much, sometimes it's easy to think "Never again" but with my family around me I have to get up in the morning, I have to walk, feed and play...surely they help me heal. Through tears of grief I can't help but crack a smile at some of their daily antics!
Sometimes I fear what is ahead for me. The years creep up on us quickly and the pup is all too soon a mature adult, and then frighteningly a veteran before we've even thought about it. Sometimes now I look at Louis as he's growing his grey beard and I dread the day when he will no longer be by my side. In a weak moment I hug him and cry but then I know I can't let these thoughts ruin the years of love and fun we hopefully still have left to share together.
At a time when it would be all to easy to sink into despair, again I turn to the songs that pull at my heart strings. These as always, give me great comfort. Floods of tears to "Blame It On The Sun," "Like A Baby," "I Can't Make You Love Me" and the haunting "You Have Been Loved." These words sung only by "His" voice will warm up my heart. As the tears flow I know that someday memories of those that I was privileged to have loved will bring a smile instead of a tears....to have loved and lost is without doubt better than not to have loved at all.