Tuesday 25 August 2009

The Week that Was....


Storm had been doing so well. She returned home on Wednesday. For a bitch who had almost died 36 hrs earlier, She was truly remarkable. She was hungry, bright and happy. We took her for a check up on Friday, her temperature was a little high but generally the vet was happy with her progress. He gave her an injection of antibiotics to boost the tablets she was already on and hopefully bring the temperature down.
As I set off at 6.15am on Saturday for WKC in Builth all seemed well at home. But by 10am Storm had deteriorated rapidly and Steve had to rush her to the vets. The vet said she had a very high temp probably from an infection. She's was very flat, seemed in pain and bloated. She stood hunched with her tail tucked tightly underneath her. I feel I let her down by not being here. I thought of coming home from the show but felt that would have been undermining to Steve who I have complete faith in to deal with any emergency. Also I was not just 30 min's from home..Still at the show I felt useless and lost. On Sunday Storm was not much better and we where both very concerned.
We returned to the vet on Monday where
Storm was diagnosed with peritonitis! What next???? She had loads of injections, pain killers, antibiotics and something els to help her stomach with the swelling. Poor Storm really didn't deserve this after all she'd been through, but I guess one positive note her temp was down from Saturdays.
Today we have been back to the vets. Though her temp was normal she still seems in discomfort. She's such a strange shape, really thin on the back, you can feel every bone of her spine, and underneath she is bloated, almost barrel shape.
She has very little appetite and I wish I could see more improvement...