Tuesday 18 August 2009

Storm

Last night was another night from hell...Storm had an 180% twist torsion. Her Spleen was bleeding and enlarged because it was caught up in the twist. She's survived her Op...We pray to God she doesn't go into shock now.... Mikey is my hero for sounding the alarm!
It was just a normal evening in the "Blanik" household. Storm had been relaxing indoors since about 5pm. At around 9pm I put her out in the yard, she always goes out for about hour around this time. It was about 9.45 when Mikey started to get agitated. He paced from me to the door and back again...over and over. Thinking he needed to go out I eventually took notice of him and took him out. Whether Mikey could hear her distress or not we'll never know, but one thing I do know is, that without him it would have been a further 20 mins or so before I went to get Storm in. And with torsion, as we all know time is of the essence.
As soon as I saw Storm I knew something was wrong. I had seen torsion before but wasn't yet convinced that that's was what was going on. Blade's torsions had been much more distressing to watch, he had been panting, gaging and retching. Storm was quite and subdued, but I could see the pain in her eyes, I just knew something was seriously wrong. By the time we got to the vets she had started to swell, but she was still....just quiet. At that time of night the vet was alone. We helped him sedate her and attach the drip to try and counteract the shock. We stayed as long as we could help...leaving only for the man to get on with his job.
We had been home about 30mins when we got the call to say she had survived the operation, but we where warned that we where not out of the woods yet...With every hour I feel more positive for her recovery, still another sleepless night is ahead for both of us. Tomorrow I hope brings good news....