Sunday 25 November 2012

Friday, Saturday and Sunday


Friday was Louis vet check day. With vet Jill away I booked to see Rachel. I find it hard when I don't have the consistency of seeing the same vet but decided to go in with the hope that a fresh pair of eyes would be of benefit to us. I didn't weigh him, I decided Ostrich scenario would suite me just this once .. hell I just didn't want to know. I had noticed over the last month that Louis' testicles and the inside of his ears had got quite white. Rachel agreed that he was "Pale" but said it's no surprise really. To be honest other than a conversation about a bowel biopsy no further suggestions were offered, (Something we have discussed at length with Jill) but we did decide to have a quick blood test done to find out the type and degree of anaemia. As ever Louis was a star, having his neck shaved and blood taken without ant fuss ..but he did scream blue murder when he saw the b12 injection coming towards him!!!!
On Saturday with the Blanik bus loaded we travelled to the Wigan for a fantastic meet up with friends at The Southport and Birkdale K.A show. For the second time this year the Blanik clan were consistently last in every class .. bar Jezi who was 4th but with only Ziva behind her. (I think the first time since May that Jezi has beaten Ziva) When we win we win well .. when we loose well you get my drift!. The judge was kind enough to say that she preferred Jezi's hard overline, which I agree with but she though Jezi had a better front than Ziva. That I strongly dispute!!! Both girls are adorable, but chalk and cheese really. Anyway I'm proud to have bred and own both, I'm proud of who they are growing up to be and proud of their achievements to date!
Sprenger Sieger Show Collar As we sat having lunch I over heard the judge discussing Nico with his handler. Though I was 2 tables away I thought "Sod it, they are talking about my dog ... I'm going over there!" The judge said how much she had adored him and that he was stunning in stance. But she felt he pulled too hard on the move making his hind quarters look unsound. I agree, but I also think that compared to 2 months ago his hind quarters have improved no end. She suggested I pull him out of the ring and allow plenty of free running for a few more months. If she only knew the life he's having now, and I only entered because she was a breed judge. My intention had always been to start showing him at Manchester Ch in January. Maybe I should have stuck to plan A then! Something else she pointed out was that he pulled his neck back when moving. Surprisingly she seemed to know some of his background, including the name of his owner abroad! Anyway she felt a prong pulling collar may had been used on him which makes me cringe. Yes he does pull his neck back in the ring, I had noticed that but had no idea what could have caused it!I have nothing but huge respect for his breeder for going to get him back when she did! No one will EVER mistreat this beautiful dog again!
Sunday we woke up to a beautiful morning, stunning winter sunshine. As we walk the mountain I realise again that as much as we love the shows this is what having dogs is all about. The show team wet through with a couple of individuals covered in mud! Louis having the time of his life, god knows were his energy comes from but he's bloody determined to keep up with the young and healthy!
Yeah I love my show days, I love to see them win and I love them no less for loosing. (To be honest, it's good for us to loose sometimes and after the successful year we've had it certainly keeps us grounded!) But really there is no doubt, the pleasure I get from watching them free running on the mountains is just a cut about the rest.