Sunday 5 August 2007

Now Don't Kid Yourself


I wrote this article for our dog club's newsletter....thought I'd share it with you......
Now don’t kid yourself; yeah, this could be written about you! How quick are you to belittle me for my “other” passion in life? I’ve heard you, a quick remark… “Bloody poof”….or a sarcastic giggle. Do you know how much it upsets me? Do I ask for it? I hope not, but still you feel inclined to comment without tact, or thought that this passion may just be what’s keeping me afloat at the moment. “He” is my escapism, so back off!!!
Hang on, this is a dog club newsletter, where am I going with this? Well if you care to read on I’ll tell you. I sat in that hall one night listening to people who work their dogs in one “sport” laughing and belittling others for showing their dogs, and similarly on another night I heard someone else taking the “Michael” out of the Heel Work To Music enthusiasts. Dog “people” all together in one room with enthusiasm and passion for their dogs, but still they feel the need to criticise and comment. That’s what got me thinking, if we can all stick together and admire each other for our own dog sport then surely it’s a start, how ever little.
You see, what I think is important is that we are here together, a community with something special in common, the love of dogs. We choose to spend our lives with our canine companions. Be it ordinary days at home or special days at shows; events, camping holidays or even a lovely walk in the countryside, the list is endless. Quality time with our dogs, and often our dog friends.
My dog “friends” are the best that I’ve got. Like-minded people whom I love to share my life with. Those fantastic week-ends at dog shows, there to comfort each other when we loose and share in the joy of winning, but each one knowing that the best dog goes home in the car with us at the end of the day.
I don’t work in Obedience Competitions anymore and agility doesn’t do it for me, though I have tried it. Fly ball and Heelwork to music are really not for me but if it’s your “thing” then go for it and enjoy your hobby with your beloved companion. But please do not belittle me for choosing to spend my days showing my beautiful dogs in the company of my good friends.
If this small dog community can’t start to understand each other and support each other within our own interests then my god it makes me worry about the bigger picture. What chance is there of ever eradicating racism and homophobia?
We love are dogs so lets support each other, be happy for each other in what we choose to do. We all need escapism, be it “that pop star” a round of golf or a week-end of fly ball. Let’s be happy for each other and not so quick to judge, after all it’s horses for courses, or dog sports for dog people.So, was this partly written about you? Only you and I know that and I’m never ‘gonna’ tell!!!!!!!!