Monday 16 July 2007

Seffe 10/1/96 - 15/7/07





Born to my first litter, I have to be honest; Seffe was not the puppy I’d set my heart on. Aria her litter sister had always filled my eyes with expectations, I’d even called Aria by the name Seffe for a few days. But that was not to be, now that pain is buried well in the past where it should be, and I shared eleven and a half years of love and pleasure with MY darling Seffe.
Today I feel cheated of those last precious moments in her life. I feel that I never got to say that last goodbye. But how was I to know that when I popped into the village she would be gone when I came home? Thirty minutes, that’s all it took, and in that time she was stolen from me. Seffe was 11 and half years old, and hadn’t even been ill, she seemed so healthy. I was prepared for Dexi’s death, he'd been ill on and off for the last 3 months, but Seffe was so well, so happy......... Even yesterday, when I called her in to the bedroom before we went out she was barking at the neighbours.
Now I can only think of last Saturday (7.7.07) and how on top form she was at a dog show. Going round scrounging for a tit-bit and flirting with a 2 yr old German Shepherd male, and then winning the non-sporting class with boundless energy. Now my darling Seffe has gone and my heart is breaking. You see Dexi was the "star" here, the big winner, but she was my mate, my best friend, the one I could always trust to be by my side.
She was always funny; and along with her selective deafness she’d got funnier as she’d got older. I guess she must have felt that things “didn’t always apply” to her. She didn’t feel she had to go out with everyone else. She’d just stare at me so defiantly, and of course nine times out of ten, I’d just say, “If you don’t want to go that’s fine.” Making the excuse to myself of, “well she’s old now isn’t she,” for about the last 2 yrs I suppose.
Sometimes she treated Steve with contempt, other times with tolerance only. But I can only believe that they understood each other as he always said, “She’s not a bit of trouble when you’re not around.” But she was here first and my god did she remind him of that on a regular basis. If he cuddled her, she’d move away, if he tried to get her out of the bedroom in the morning she’d climb onto our bed and cuddle into me or simply stare at him defiantly. She also refused to go for walks with him, turning back half way across the field to come back to me. Strange little dog would give up her walk if I couldn’t go, now there’s love for you.
Seffe wasn’t really the best mum in the world; though she loved her litter of 5 pups for a few weeks she quickly got bored and allowed her own mum Nikki to take over rearing the hooligans. Good thing really as without Nikki I think the over intelligent Krizzie, Seffe’s daughter, would have got completely out of hand. After her litter Seffe was spayed, problem was nobody told her. Seffe continued to be a right flirt and I remember so well her falling in love (or lust) with a Hungarian Viszla at Ruthin show. She stood by the ring as the dog was being shown almost whimpering and bouncing around with excitement. It took me a while to figure out what she was getting so wound up about. The guy bought the dog over to meet her and she was ecstatic, I never saw her react to another dog that way before or after that day.
The last couple of years Seffe had a great time in her veteran classes. Though she got bored standing still she loved to move around the ring and as some will no doubt know what she loved even more was the applause. It was ALWAYS for her, it just made her jump with joy. So proud I’d felt only last week as the judge commented on her fitness and condition. Lets face it, it really is rare to see an eleven year old GSD in the ring, let alone one who still moved with enthusiasm and drive. Seffe was not a big show winner or a well known brood bitch. Seffe was my special friend, my comfort blanket, my charming, funny little friend, my shadow. It will take a long time for these wounds to heal, but one thing is for sure the world has been a better place and my life has been richer for having known Seffe. I only wish I’d had the pleasure of living with her a little bit longer. Good night Seffe. You have been loved.