Thursday 2 May 2024

Feeling Deflated

Days like today really leave me thinking. What the feck is this dogs problem? How can he be so different to the others?  At times, he is a liability and this morning he showed me how difficult he can be. This was not fun and games, not haha catch me if you can. In over 30 years of owning this breed, this was a situation I've only previously found myself in with him, for the third time he was a leads length away from biting me. And what did I do to warrant such behaviour? Well, I tried to put wound powder on a small cut on his foot.
When I worked at Freshfields I really saw some unpredictable dogs, some proper arseholes, and I prided myself on the fact I'd never had a dog like that, well I have now! Ok he has one thing in common with them, an unknown history ... Steve constantly preaches, if he'd always been here, he wouldn't be like this? Steve is so quick to forgive him any misdemeanour, but it's not in my nature to have a dog I have to manage and not just love. On days like today, I really could not give a feck about his past, I could just give up on him, the dog gives me little pleasure, he is unpredictable and unsafe .. there you go I've finally said it! I try my best for him, I really do, but he breaks my heart, every time we begin to bond there is an incident which leaves me doubting I'm the right person for him, but seriously who the hell else would want him? And more so, who would be able to manage him? I honestly think had we rehomed him, he would have been PTS by now. Don't worry, I won't bow down from my responsibility, I bought him into the world, therefore it's down to me to keep him safe and give him the best I can. Had he been my first GSD, I'd have never had another. 
So now I'll go back onto Facebook to read all the cooing comments about how beautiful he is, well there is no disputing that, but sometimes beauty is only skin deep eh! (Or hair in this concern!)