Thursday 3 October 2024

Sables At Blanik

I'd always had black and tan German Shepherds, with a preference for a standard coated black and rich tan dog. My interest in sables began with Ch Idol vom haus am Lerchenweg, I was looking for a dog to mate to Asha in 2011 and he really interested me. I had knowledge that sable improves pigment/colour in black and tan, and Asha was a poor colour. Anyway, with Idol in Suffolk, at that time it was just not feasible. Luckily for me I found Tirgram Robbi in Nantwich and through his pedigree bring back in a better tan and a solid saddle. 
When I bought Ross in 2017 I was over the moon that he was an Idol grandson and I had high hopes that Ross would be the sire of future Blanik generations, but sadly it was not to be. I looked into mating Sammi to a sable, but I was told the dogs character out of the show scene was not great, so I backed out and ended up with the Merlot litter. (This photo is of a baby Ross) 
In 2019, I made it to Suffolk to try again, mating Kaiah to the Idol grandson, a LSH sable, Zalu, but again major disappointment as Kaiah missed. I had an image in my head of the puppy I would have had from that litter, I was going to call her Vixen ... and yeah she looked just like Meerah! So finally we got there, finally there is a sable female at Blanik. I didn't do the mating just for colour, after all it is of secondary importance, I was just lucky that the dog I felt that was right for Siska was a sable. I have already been asked if I will repeat that mating, and last night, in confidence, I was asked what my plans are for Beti .... well that's a while away!