Wednesday 16 October 2024

Individuals And Coat

                        
Brothers - the long and the short of it. 
One melts my heart, the other messes up my head, but as they say it is what it is, and we do the best we can.
Having used a L/C as a sire for my last litter I've spent more time reading about the results of Intervariety breeding. (mating one coat variety to the other) 
 Personally I support inter-variety coat breeding, which is no longer accepted in Germany under SV rules where both coat varieties are exhibited separately. Sometimes the right dog, the right bloodlines is right regardless of coat. 
We know that ... "SC animals that carry the LSH gene have a thicker, denser, harsher coat than those that do not, and this is important to preserve the breed's desired coat. 'A very short, mousy, tight-coated GSD will rarely if ever, produce a long coat, even when mated to a long coat. These individuals are, therefore the opposite of the long coat as they possess no long coated allele (homozygous for SC)'' (Louis Donald) 
It's nice to read confirmation of what we know, that S/C dogs who carry the LSH gene have a better, more correct coat than those who don't. So really, even when preferring to have SC's in my female line I do see great benefits from intervariety matings. 
The baby of the house