Monday 24 June 2024

Grass, Balls and No Signs

The last photos of the uncut field before Ryan and his tractor arrived! I didn't make it to July as I'd hoped, the sneezing got the better of me, actually I only made it a week further than last year!  To be honest, we usually cut the bottom field at the end of June, though the top field is never cut and some years the bottom one doesn't get cut at all either! (just look at that rolling cloud/mist over the mountains today.) 
I was chatting with Jane yesterday at the show about Orin's bits .. she wondered if the long grass has scratched them, till I showed her the photo and then she realised how severe it was, as she said that was not caused by grass or buttercups. I really have never seen anything like it, and Steve is so careful of what plants he has in the garden. As Orin, and all my males run free in these fields through all the season, year in year out I can only think we've come to contact with a poisonous/stinging plant (or maybe something worse)  on one of our travels. Anyway, there is a dramatic improvement to his crown jewels now, just a couple of small scabs remain and some pink pigment.  
It's now three weeks since Siska was mated - there are no signs of pregnancy - but I try and comfort myself with the knowledge that it is early days, let's hope for some much-needed good news over the next two weeks. As I do in situations of stress I'm turning to comfort eating ... so I jumped on the scales this morning ...  Thankfully no weigh gain, but of course no loss.