Wednesday 1 February 2023

Thoughts

 I don't know what is going on in the world of dogs right now. What are we as humans doing to make our canine companions so unpredictable? One thing I feel strongly about is that training to only positive reinforcement really is not working. Like us, dogs need to know when they are in the wrong, they thrive on rules and boundaries, dogs need to know there are consequences for their actions. No one is saying beat the shit out of them for making a mistake, often a look or simple "Ahh" or "No" is enough. I've learned so much more from living with packs than I ever could reading a book, and believe me there are rules within this pack that are much harsher than training methods. I agree the training methods of yesteryear were brutal, sometime bordering on abuse but have we gone from the sublime to the ridiculous? I fear so,  modern day dog trainers tell us we can't teach our dogs right from wrong and can only tell them when they are right! 
Making dogs into "Furbabies" will never work, no matter the size or the breed they are capable of doing a lot of damage. We as dog loving humans need to treat them as dogs, they deserve our understanding and our commitment, they are not babies, as much as we love them, they are dogs! 
I walk a maximum of 6 dogs off lead around my own enclosed field. I take 4 out on the mountain together off lead, they are a pack, a family with respect for the top bitch! I would never, not ever consider walking 8 dogs from different homes, different families, different packs on leads together, how does anyone think they can succeed? It really is beyond me, and some law or governing body really needs to take charge of the dog walker situation before there is another fatality! 
Dogs give us so much, but currently are we failing them?