Thursday 23 March 2023

Zeus' Nail

Last week Zeus was a little lame on his back right. I'm not one to rush to the vets and kept an eye on it. It honestly didn't seem to escalate but then we noticed his outside nail was pointing in an odd direction. He was not limping and we wondered if he'd caught it on something. 
On Monday whilst I was in Nantwich Steve let me know that the paw had started to bleed, I rang the vet and made an appointment for Tuesday. As things didn't go to plan and I had to go back to Nantwich on Tuesday I had to cancel the appointment. Zeus was not lame and there had been no further bleeding so we decided to see how it would go. This morning I thought the nail looked weird again and by this afternoon it had come out completely. There was no blood, no swelling and he doesn't seem bothered by it. I contacted the vet and have been advised if it's not bothering him to leave it alone, so we will.
I'm hopeful it's a one-off, an accident and not a condition that can affect dogs where their nails come out ...(lupoid onychodystrophy)