Monday 27 March 2023

Feeding Time

Last week we chatted a lot about feeding and diet. Joe said he was feeding his on 2/3 kibble and 1/3 raw. I have always fed kibble and use to firmly believe that adding to that was not sensible as kibble is a "complete meal."  But as the years have gone by, I find myself adding more bits and pieces to the diets, not because I feel they need it because complete is complete, but now I'm less convinced that I'm doing any harm by adding things. 
I add a spoonful of live yogurt to their breakfasts daily, and they get tinned pilchards or sardines every other night, of course it's only one piece of fish each. If we have chicken I boil the bones to make a broth adding any leftover veg or even the highly nutritious skins to the broth. I will even boil up just the skins (Potatoes, carrots swede etc)  and add them with the liquid to their breakfast, I can't believe how much they all love it, even Ross! Yesterday I found myself with a bag of spinach in the fridge that really needed using. I boiled it up and added to their breakfast today, well this was the first no-go, Zeus and Ross told me where to stick it and I noticed Orin took his time over it, of course the bitches loved it! I did make the two boys another breakfast which they wolfed down, and will not add it to their food if the situation arose again. They get a raw carrot daily and often get raw broccoli, which they love. I think they even prefer the raw veg to bonios, fish treats and chicken feet, which they also get daily! 
I hate waste, we really try not to waste anything at all, if it can't be reheated or recreated and eaten by us or them, then it goes in the compost, or even into the field for the birds or the fox.