Wednesday 29 March 2023

Size Matters!

I found this post in my drafts - no idea why it was never completed and posted ... but this is as it was, probably written in January .. ish, I've just added photos. The first is Orin with Kaiah and Siska - The male so obvious, and the second photo is of the hugely imposing Kaiser (Kai) 
This week the subject of height and weight in young GSD's, particularly males has been greatly discussed on Facebook. A well known and respected kennel had been running on brothers, though both look amazing, one has grown too big for the show ring. The breeder is now looking for a pet home for the dog, I don't disapprove, I think he would be better off in a pet home than spending his days in a kennel whilst his brother goes off gallivanting. A lot of these dogs do not live in the house like ours, not my choice, not my way of keeping dogs but in this kennel I know they will be well cared for. 
A friends puppy is giving her great concern, he is now 65cms at 7 months. That is top height for an adult male. We know that males roughly grow 5 cms after 6 months of age and bitches roughly grow 2.5 cms after 6 months of age. I looked back at my records, at 7 months Orin was 62.5cms and just under 32kg. Ross 63cms and 32.8k. Loki 63.5 cms and 31.8kg. Mikey was 63cms but no weight recorded. Louis was 59cms - 29.20kg. At 8 months - Orin 64cms + 33kg- Ross 64cms + 34.1kg - Loki 64cms + 33kg.  Orin adult height is 66cms - the other two are taller - about 67 -68cms Louis ended up 61.5cms and Mikey was dead on 65cms. So yes, if my puppy was 65cms at 7 months I would be concerned, but it is what it is, we can't change it and without doubt no matter how tall he becomes, this puppy will not be sold on. Another friend has a puppy who when last measured was smaller than Louis at the same age, I really hope he makes size for her as he's a cracking chap. 
I have to admit at the shows I attend I've found that size rarely makes a huge difference, males should be 60 - 65 with a leeway of cm either side.  Louis was within the size limit, but he did lack length of foreleg and there is no doubt on occasions it went against him. On the other side of the coin, Kai was 69cms, and that on occasion that also went against him. The breed is rarely measured at KC shows, but at regionals every animal over 2 years is measure at every show. I have tended to stick to KC shows as they are my preference but Orin could easily hold his own at either! 
Loki has done more than his fair share of winning here, and I can only think of two judges who commented on his height .. but I appreciate it is only one consideration when judging the whole dog. If the taller dog is more constructionally correct than the correct size dog then it's down to the judge which he sees the more serious failing I guess. I have to admit though Louis was my everything, I do prefer a larger male to a smaller male. A male should ooze masculinity ... though to be fair there was nothing feminine about Louis. A bitch should not be doggy and masculine, but somehow a masculine bitch is easier to accept than a feminine male. Looking at the animal in the ring we really should know if it's male or female at a glance, luckily I've never doubted anyone here!