A totally confidential chat at the Sieger had me buzzing. With 17 dogs, her owner would probably need someone to take Pippa on for campaigning later in the year. OMG Yes please! I came home and told Steve all about it ... he wasn't too bothered, or certainly didn't seem to be at the time.
Yesterday, whilst waiting outside the vets came the call, "are you still interested in taking on Pippa?" My heart sank; the timing could not have been worse. The new Blanik bus is almost ready and has bled me dry, and Zavi is still so young, but I've thought so much about Pippa over the last couple of months. Could I somehow make it work? Pippa's pen was already sorted (she is currently a kennel dog), and she would be able to sleep in the utility room ... in my mind the plan was coming together. I was sure I could scrape up the cash, after all, this German import bitch with the very best bloodlines was probably a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for someone like me.
Sadly it didn't go well with Mr S and he lost the plot. He asked me, "When are you going to stop collecting dogs? This is a one-bedroom cottage. Where are you going to put her?" Well, yeah, I get it, and I know he's worried about the situation of something happening to him and me being unable to cope financially. I know we have always said 8 dogs is the maximum so we are running at full capacity .... but as I said, this was probably a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for me. The conversation ended with "Well I would never stop you doing anything, so do what you like, but I'm not happy."
I pondered over it all day, and even though it crushed me last night, I messaged her owner and told him that I was between a rock and a hard place, so I could not take Pippa. I've cried, of course I have, but at least I can focus my attention on Zavi when the disappointment comes over me again. I didn't tell Steve until this morning, and then I simply said, "I've contacted Pippa's owner and told him we won't be having her!" He replied, "Why?" I wanted to scream, "well why the feck do you think?" But it would only have caused more unnecessary upset and tension, so I simply replied .... "I don't ever want to talk about her again!" Yeah, that is how it is, I don't want to talk about her again, I simply have to move on ... at least I have a spare pen now!