Sunday, 23 August 2026

Our Show Day

A very early start to Builth for the second day of Wales' biggest all-breed Champ Show. We are lucky to have a friend on the committee who sneaks us in to a great parking spot as close as is possible to the breed ring.
I took Zavi with me; the experience of being in that kind of environment was invaluable. I took him in with Beti, her confidence could only be beneficial to him. The little boy did so well and coped with everything that was thrown at him during the day. He loved seeing Paul and Nicola, his breeders; it just shows how much they gave that litter that he still loves to see them. 
I had to giggle when someone who I expected to know better asked me, "Is that Ro's pup?" I said no, this is mine, his brother. Her reply, "Well these long coats all look the same to me!"  Well!!!!
Orin was the first of my clan to go in in the morning and afternoon. Two shows, two judges, two different opinions. Orin was last in the morning, the judge saying his eyes were distracting and that he lacked the attributes of the first two. Yeah I was a little deflated but more encouraged in the afternoon by his second place. I love this dog so much, but I've played this game long enough to get it! 

Meeah was a handful, as usual! She stood alone in her class in the morning and was last of three in the second show. Though I heard her described as a beautiful colour "for a sable", I latched on to more of the negatives really. He said her front was too straight and that she rolls over her back on the move. He went on to say that she has far too much length to her second thigh and rear pastern. Again, I see it, but some encouraging words would have helped - all dogs have some attributes, don't they?
My beautiful Beti is not looking her best, but she's managed to pull it out of the bag and won her class under both judges. The judge doing the verbal critiques was very complimentary, and I tried my best to remember his words. "The standout winner of the class. Beautiful head and expression, firm back and correct hind angulation. The front is a little straight, a very exuberant female, maybe a little too exuberant. One to watch for the future." (He didn't mention her tatty coat, thankfully!)  Well yeah, that made up for his lack of positivity about Orin and Meerah. 
Having left home at 5am we got home just after 9pm, a long day but a fun day with my lovely dogs and a great bunch of friends. We have so much fun and I love driving my new van, though the pleasure of the drive on the way home was reduced dramatically by the blindingly low sun!