Thursday 18 January 2018

Sable Puppies

Last night I was just chatting to my friend online, the breeder of sable 2. Sadly he still has no testicles and will have to be neutered in a few months. She said he is also very tall and narrow, so yeah heartbreaking at the time but these things are meant to be.
Anyway my friend is looking for a suitable stud dog for her sable bitch and a question I'd never thought of came to mind. What would you get colour wise if you mated a sable bitch to a sable dog? Well now I know ... 75% of the litter would be expected to be sable, 25% would be black and tan as that is a recessive gene. But, if you have a sable, who has 2 sable parents and has picked up the sable part from both parents and then that dog will only produce sable, no matter what it is mated to.  Interesting yeah!
If for any reason I could not mate Ross to Kaiah then I'd love to find a sable male for her. Of course there's more to breeding than colour and other factors are paramount, but I would love some sable babies one day.