Sunday 29 September 2013

So Proud....

Mikey, Ziva and that toy!
This morning was particularly blustery on the mountain, and as we set off into wind and bright sunshine I must admit I was not really concentrating on my free running dogs. It was more a case of  hiding under my hood thinking
"this is not pleasant walking conditions, I want to go home." Suddenly 3 sheep, 2 white and 1 black popped out from a dip right in front of Mikey. The temptation was too much and he began to chase.  I instinctively called "Tali come" ... Damn wrong dog ... "Mikey come." His recall was instant and I guess he chased for no more than 10-15 feet, just enough time for me to realise which dog it was ..lol. Maybe you wouldn't consider that a chase but it was enough to get the adrenaline going and for my heart to be in my mouth. It's not something I expect of Mikey, he's normally Mr Perfect, just goes to show no dog is ever 100% trustworthy doesn't it. Even Nikki who was perfect in most circumstances showed interest in black sheep; I guess they are so few and far between up here that the may confuse the dogs initially. Though I was disappointed in Mikey's interest in the sheep, I was still proud of him, not many dogs would do such a perfect recall in those circumstances.
As Mikey joined us my attention turned to the girls. Asha and Tali were to my left, both made it clear they were not going to put a foot wrong. Ziva on the other hand was a short distance away to my right .... just the way the sheep were heading. Again panic set in. I screamed Ziva "Down" ... she instantly hit the deck, I called out "Wait ... Wait.....Wait" as the sheep ran past her and away. I then called "Ziva come"... again a perfect recall, well maybe there was a slight delay, but only to pick up her toy!
Basically though an uncomfortable situation at the time, a pretty good outcome. I'm proud of you "Blaniks!"
By the time I was in the middle of the second walk there was a drastic change in weather conditions. Someone turned the wind off and put the sun full on! My God it was hot. I ended up carrying my fleece and my hoodie back home with me. Luckily there was no drama, Jezi and Nico ran from ditch to ditch, and Finlay? He just plodded along behind! Nothing new there the!!!