Sunday 7 July 2024

Day 35 - 5 weeks

No huge changes, I'm kind of thinking the first scan is quite accurate, maybe it is a small litter. Hell, I'd be over the moon just to have 4, but I'll wait till after the second scan before making plans. She still looks heavier at night, funny how that always happens early on isn't it. Kaiah measured 30.5" in the morning of the 5th week, she was 28" normally and 29" at 4 weeks. Sammi was 31" at 5 weeks and 29" at 4 weeks for her second litter, but not 31" till 6 weeks for the litter of three. Actually, Sammi wasn't showing any abdominal enlargement at 5 weeks with that first litter, but she is a much bigger broader bitch than Siska. I wrote at the time "As we walked in Cwm Dulyn on Tuesday I noticed a slight change in her outline, only something a doting owner could see, but that I am and I saw it. But how could I tell if there was a difference over a few days or not? Then Mikey and his lump came to mind, I would measure her waist. I didn't dare tell Steve, he'd have had me locked up!!!! .... She was 29" on day 38, (I checked - from mating, therefore day 41 from ovulation)  it was my intention to leave her till Sunday to measure again but on Thursday I couldn't help myself ..OMG - 30",(day 39) and Sunday 31"(day 43)" 
Siska was still 28" at the 4 week mark, but by the evening of day 31, when I noticed the obvious change in her, she was 29.5." This morning Siska is only 29" again, we'll see how that compares again in a week. She is smaller than Kaiah and Sammi were for their bigger litters at the same stage, but of course bitches vary in how they carry litters early on. 
Siska is still messing with her food in the first half of the day, but doing better in the second half, normal behaviour according to the book. She has eaten a boiled egg and a small portion of her breakfast today, I'm not used to this, I've had greedier bitches all along I guess. She's quite partial to white fish, but has been rejecting even chicken some days till lunchtime. She will eat treats from about mid-morning, but the other day she even spat them out on the walk. Of course, I'll go with the flow with her now, but I do hope she does eat a little better after the 6 week mark! 
Edit ... very little lunch eaten, but almost instantly after eating it she looked pregnant again, bless her!