Wednesday 23 January 2019

Twll Braich

Can you see the roof of our cottage?
Click on the photo to enlarge
I have no problem at all with the dogs being on the edge here.
*****
Today's third walk wasn't the most relaxed of walks. It started with a very exuberant Kaiah disappearing.  Those seconds when you can't see them seem like hours, my main concern are always sheep, it's hard to relax and trust the youngsters. Of course she had not vanished she had mealy found Jamie among the gorse bushes, but I couldn't see her so I was not to know. I'll be honest my stomach was churning over and I was physically shaking by the time she and a pissed off Jamie appeared! 
The rest of the walk was going well ... until the end. I decided to follow the narrow track up home by the side of Twll Braich. Linda loves the walk but it's not one of my favourites. I generally like more space with three young dogs. As I got to the top the three dogs started scenting frantically at the fencing by the side of the quarry. Now I'm not one to panic, I trust my dogs to have common sense but on this side of the quarry it's a sheer drop down and I'm glad that these days it's fenced. Anyway they where really interested in the fence and I decided the inquisitive Kaiah should go on the lead. I called her and she returned, I put her on the lead and looked up. For the second time on the walk I felt sick with worry, Ross had got under the fence and was standing on the edge of the quarry sniffing down. I called him, he ignored me, I called him again and again and he took no notice, he was just scenting. I'm not use to being ignored, they get away with a lot here, I don't want  puppets I want a dogs with spirit who think for themselves ..  but for them to live this free life I demand a recall from them. Maybe the panic in my voice was not helping? Maybe this that or the other? The fact is  his natural instincts took over and a normally obedient dog followed them and ignored me. Now of course he probably wasn't there for much more than a minute, but there was no way I could get to him and by the time he came to me I was scared and seething. Of course I know the right thing to do on recall, but I just couldn't praise him, but neither did I punish him I just put him on a lead and stomped away. (You can see it I'm sure) At least you can guarantee that the worst thing Loki did is forget where he left his toy. It's not often I get cross and stressed with them on walks ... but today I just wish I hadn't gone, and yes I did look but no I've no idea what was so interesting in the quarry!