Saturday, 5 September 2026

Blast From The Past

Earlier this week we learned of the death of Eric Broadhurst, the man of Rosehurst fame. Whether it was foresight or luck, but the mating of Uran to Ramana in the 80ies changed the path of the modern GSD to bring us closer to what we recognise in the ring now. From that mating the breed was blessed with International Ch Rosehurst Chris, a magnificent dog who truly was before his time. At the time, Chris and Ch Bedwins Pirol dominated the show ring through their wins and their progeny's wins. I still consider myself really lucky to have started my line with Nikki, a "Chris" daughter. (In the photo)
I first came across Eric when I applied for a job at the Rosehurst kennels. It was before I had Blade, and the kennels were only a short distance from where my brother worked at Prestwich Hospital. I stayed over with him and had a lovely time. I was over the moon to be offered the job, but when the other kennel assistant told me that I'd have to leave Pepsi at home or kennel him on the property, I declined the offer of the job. There was only one static caravan for the staff and her Dobs would not have accepted Pepsi, there was just no way I would have left him behind or kenneled him. I often wonder, what could have been? 
A very young Blade and Pepsi in the second photo.
So Nikki, the Chris daughter, was my foundation, and in her first litter to the import Arko Vom Huhnegrab she produced Aria, Dexi and my lovely Seffe - who continued the line at Blanik. Knowing sod all when I bought Nikki, I basically signed the pick of litter away to her breeder. (Well it was a verbal agreement, but valuable lessons were learned.) Heartbroken at having to give my heart puppy Aria away I also stupidly "sold" Dexi to him and settled to a future with Seffe. 
Well at Driffield Champ  show I learned something new about Dexi. You see Dexi came back to Blanik before he was 6 months old, I had to pay more to have him back and I took him straight to the vets as his back legs were horrendous, the vet told me that all she could find wrong was his lack of muscle, I remember her words "I've seen more muscle on an 8-week-old puppy, so that is how you have to treat him now; build him up slowly." I did and Dexi became a super star. So 30 years on, and the owners of Dexi's sire bring him up in conversation at a dog show, and they tell me something I didn't know. So apparently they went to visit Dexi and Aria at their home and decided to take Aria home. They were asked about Dexi's hindquarters and told him they didn't think there would be an issue once he was fit, but they said his head was too feminine and that he would never make it with his "pin -head!" So I paid more money to have a dog back that the owners of his sire thought had lost potential, so yeah remembering what I was told then... someone I had a lot of respect for then lied to me! As it happened, I had the last laugh and Dexi developed a beautiful masculine head. The person telling me the story said they would never make a judgement on a young dog's head again.